Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vampire: How The Industry Is Sucking The Life Out Of The Concept




OR, this can also be called "How To Make Money While The Iron Is Hot".

I have never read any of the Twilight books. And I don't think I ever will have the urge to read them. I have never been a fan of Harlequin Romance: and these seem to fall under that category. I am, however, a fan of vampire (lore, movies, t.v. and novels) when they are done well.

The movie industry has most definitely struck while the iron is hot on these novels. And it's falling into the same trap as the "Harry Potter" movies. They have to make them quick before the lead actors age or start asking for more money or completely get disinterested in making the movies anymore.

Bubba, Shark-Boy and Frog love them; and for them I won't bash the movies too much.

Twilight the movie, IMO, falls into the category of "not done well". Mainly because it was boring (except for the parts where it was laughable.) I still can't get past the sparkling vampire concept; or the concept of the new girl immediately being loved by the entire school. I find the chemistry of (or lack thereof) Robert Pattinson and Kristin Stewart unbelievable. And the director (Catherine Hardwicke) is pretty unimpressive with her direction. But, to each his own.

Twilight Saga: New Moon is more of the same. They got a different director: Chris Weitz (who directed two movies that I did like: American Pie and About A Boy). And the acting was about the same. All-in-all, unimpressive. And now she's supposed to have a thing for the werewolf Jakob. I think the problem is the actress. She's just unempathetic and unbelievable.

It looks like I'll be going back to my old favorites: Interview With A Vampire and Near Dark to get me re-interested in the vampires again (but not now, I can wait on that).

Well, time to go enjoy the day. More later, Booboo

No comments:

Post a Comment