Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Go Ask Alice"

I might have mentioned before how I am not a fan of "Alice In Wonderland" or "Through The Looking Glass".

I have never read any of the books; they didn't interest me. I do remember seeing a book (when I was little) that had a cartoon of Alice laying on a table with her belly 'sliced' as if it were a loaf of bread. (I had to be under 10 years old; because I was scarred for life from it.) I wonder if that's where Tom Petty got the idea for his video "Don't Come Around Here No More". In it, Alice winds up having her "body" sliced and eaten by Tom Petty's hatter's friends (because she's made into a cake--you have to see it to understand--it's most likely on YouTube).

I have seen the Walt Disney animated movie (of course); I skipped the 1990's redux (with Martin Short and Whoopie Goldberg in it).

Sister Bubba told me all about the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp version (which sounds more like "The Looking Glass"); but I have no desire to see it.

But then there was SyFy's 2009 version "Alice". It was on for two nights (which in SyFy's definition meant it was on about 12 times over that whole to week period). I taped it; but never watched it. Like I said, I'm not a fan.

WELL, that's changed. It seems the reason I didn't like the other versions was because Alice is always portrayed, as I recall, as a twit. Always roaming around Wonderland (or Underland) saying "curiouser and curiouser" and getting into one predicament after another that would make a grown person curl up into a ball, sucking their thumb and saying "why me?".

On this past Sunday, I was waiting for Sister Bubba to come and pick me up (we were going to Red Lobster for dinner, delicious!). So I had some time to kill, and the Pocket Ferengei was gone for the day (watching racing at his friend Wayne-O's house). So I figured, why not get over watching this (so I could free up some space on the old DVR).

Wow! You know, I'm glad I watched it this week (because last week or the week before it came out on DVD and I went out and bought it [$15.00 at Wal-Mart].)

"Alice" (like SyFy's version of The Wizard Of Oz) went in a different direction.

First off, Alice is a brunet, 20-something Karate instructor. Second, the people in Wonderland were named "Hatter" or "Dodo" or "Doormouse"; the Queens guards were the "suits" (since they were wearing black suits, with the card number/suit embossed in black thread); and the secret organization (think FBI/CIA/KGB) was called "The White Rabbit". And third, this was a romance story (on par, I think, with "The Princess Bride" which is my all-time favorite film).

I would just like to tell the casting people "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" for getting Andrew-Lee Potts to play "Hatter". (I never imagined myself turning into an 'emo' loving person; but damn this guy was just so cute/hot/drool worthy--sorry Wesley you've been dethroned.)

The movie was well-paced (although I would've loved the ending to have been longer...or better yet, SyFy just make a T.V. show with Potts and Caterina Scorsone (who played Alice). The chemistry between those two was so fricking refreshing. I haven't seen a love story like that since BBC's "Pride And Prejudice" (Colin Firth, meltmeltmelt). [Well, it seems they can't because he's on a BBC T.V. show ("Primeval" or something like that); but one can dream.]

This is definitely "a Keeper" (as I already said, I went out and bought it).

Well, here are some "Hatter" photos. (I'm gonna have to search the internet for the Alice one I described earlier.)

Hatter Photos:

Creepy Hatter from the books:



Johnny Depp Hatter:



Andrew-Lee Potts Hatter:



Sweet dreams y'all. More later. Booboo

No comments:

Post a Comment