Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday Matinee

So, today I'm saving the trash for last.

There were four movies on the Netflix list this week. We didn't get around to watching "Armoured" (Matt Dillon robbery movie); and I didn't feel like hanging onto it...so we'll watch it when it comes out on Encore.

So that left us with three. I had already seen "Astro Boy" in the theatre; so it was on the rental list for the Pocket Ferengei to watch--and he didn't seem too keen on watching it, so that one went back unwatched. (I love Netflix's unlimted "at a time" movie rentals...we are on the 5 at a time one [$34.ish a month]).

"Bandslam"



Here's the synopsis: "Social outcast Will (Gaelan Connell) doesn't know what to think when the popular Charlotte (Alyson Michalka) asks him to manage her fledgling rock group. But agreeing to help her win the school's upcoming battle of the bands turns out to be one of the best decisions he's ever made. For one thing, it's brought him closer to Sam (Vanessa Hudgens), a girl who shares Will's passion for music but doesn't realize how talented she is."

Now from that, it doesn't sound like much...and I really didn't give it much hope to catch my interest, boy was I wrong. Catch it, and kept it, it did. It even kept the Pocket Ferengei's interest (and he was ready to go to sleep). We watched this after watching "Did you hear about the Morgans" (which was about 11:30 pm); and I just wanted to get it watched and out into the mailbox so I could get the new releases that are coming out on Tuesday. (Yes, now that I see this in writing, I do have a "problem"--but at least it's not crack; I don't judge you, don't judge me.)

The movie stars Alyson Michalka (who has been in a few movies--not that I've seen any of them); and Gaelan Connell (who is brand spanking new). They are two people to watch out for as they grow in the industry (which I hope does not "chew them up and spit them out" as the industry tends to do with teens and newbies). They made you really feel for their characters. Vanessa Hudgens is turning out to be a pretty decent actress (she of the "High School Musical" tweenybop movies). Lisa Kudrow (from "Friends") plays Will's mom (and she's very funny and sweet). And the director, Todd Graff, is one of those "childhood" actors ("Sesame Street" and "The Flamingo Kid" (another good Kevin Dillon movie)) and he does a decent job directing this one.

Anyway, the movie has a very solid story. The "Powers That Be" hired actors that could sing, so that was a plus. And boy can Vanessa sing. Not often do you have teens sing Bread's "Everything I Own" (which IMHO is an awesome song-I'm a child of the 70's/80's), but Vanessa and the band gave it a good re-tuning (turning it into a "Ska" tune). And Alyson Michalka does a decent version of Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me".

All-in-all, definitely worth a watch.


"Astroboy"



I saw this movie in the theatre when it came out...and I was the ony person in the theatre (thankfully the ticket was a free ticket; otherwise I would've waited to see this on DVD).

It's not a bad movie. It's definitely NOT a kiddie flick (for the 8-under crowd). It's more for the tweens-up crowd.

The story is based on a Japanese manga-comic and cartoon. Here's the synopsis: "Set in futuristic Metro City, Astro Boy is about a young robot with incredible powers created by a brilliant scientist in the image of the son he has lost. Unable to fulfill the grieving man's expectations, our hero embarks on a journey in search of acceptance, experiencing betrayal and a netherworld of robot gladiators, before he returns to save Metro City and reconcile with the father who had rejected him."

Now that synopsis is a very "nice" synopsis. The reason I say this is because in this movie the father (voiced by Nicholas Cage) tries to have the robot version of his boy (voiced by Freddie Highmore) "disassembled" (i.e.: killed). So here you have this Dad trying to kill his son. Now, maybe I'm being a bit nitpicking on that subject, but when I told a couple of people that I know that have kids and were interested in seeing it with them, they said they'd wait until the kids were older.

The animation is very well done; but, compared to "Up", there's no contest. "Up" is definitely the winner in the animation and story department.

Is it worth a look: sure. But definitely one to watch on cable.


"Did You Hear About The Morgans?"



Ugh. The funny parts (I'm being nice by calling them the funny parts) were shown in the previews. I'm not a fan of Sarah Jessica Parker; and the PF is not a fan of Hugh Grant (so this was another "why are we watching this" movie). I usually find Hugh Grant funny, but not this time. The synopsis: A husband and wife from New York (or Chicago, because Hugh kept interupting her and telling her she was from Chicago a bunch of times in the movie) witness a murder, have the murderer hunting them down, so the FBI puts them in Witness Protection in Montana with Sam Elliot and Mary Steenburgen.

It's been done better before. And Hugh was just unfunny. Sarah was irritating. And poor Sam Elliot and Mary Steenburgen (two very good actors) had to deal with them; I felt so sorry for them.

This is a "late night cable for insomniac" movie. Don't waste the money on a DVD rental.

The last one for this week is "Twilight Saga-New Moon", which I'll be watching (by myself) today. The PF puts up with watching A LOT of crappy movies; but he has put his foot down on this series. So Monday will be my reviews on this (and the first one). Whoo boy.

More later, Booboo

No comments:

Post a Comment