Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy Caturday Everybody!



'Tis the Catuday before St. Patrick's Day (the 1st holiday of the year devoted to binge drinking); and I found a green kitty).

It's raining and windy outside (yet another "Noreaster" has hit us, this time without the snow); so today will more likely than not be spent watching movies.



Last night we watched Netflix movies - "Planet 51". It was a cute movie. Not one worth buying (or as I call them "a keeper"); but it's worth a look. Dwayne Johnson voices an astronaut who lands on what he thinks is an uninhabited planet, only to find out that it is inhabited (with natives who are living in our 1950's era). The animation was pretty, it was a cool concept, and it was cute...but that's about it.



Thursday night we got to watch another Netflix movie - "Up In The Air" (after the Oscars, of course). And George Clooney acted exactly as I thought he would--George playing George. The movie, itself, was good; and the only person that I thought did really well with their part was the "Natalie Keener" part (who I thought was supposed to be taking his job, but that's not how it worked out in the movie). The part(s) I thought were interesting were the people who were getting fired by George. I knew that most of the people were from a open casting call, they used people who recently were fired and asked them to say what they really thought. So knowing that, it was really sad in a way seeing those parts (but at least those people got to get what they felt out of their systems--so I guess that was a good thing). The movie is worth a look (for all the press it got), and I liked what Jason Reitman did with it.



As I'm writing this, the Pocket Ferengei and I are watching "Public Enemies" (Johnny Depp is a gangster). As you can tell, I am 'so enthralled' with the movie [yawn], [I'm been writing my blog while watching it]. (The PF wanted to watch it, I was curious about it (I guess the old saying "curiosity killed the cat" is true-because boredom is killing me)).

Here's the synopsis: "In the shadow of the Great Depression, criminal minds are thriving -- notorious men like John Dillinger (Johnny Depp), "Baby Face" Nelson (Stephen Graham) and "Pretty Boy" Floyd (Channing Tatum) -- and it's up to J. Edgar Hoover (Billy Crudup) and the FBI to bring them down. Michael Mann directs this gritty crime drama based on the book by Bryan Burrough."

The PF said he liked it (I did my Saturday chores, got the laundry started, washed dishes, etc.). He said it's reminiscent of what could likely happen nowadays (which I agree); but I hope it doesn't.

So, in order to get the bad taste that that movie left me with, I've got "The Untouchables" out and waiting to go into the player. The Untouchables is an AWESOME movie. Most gangster movies made nowadays haven't even touched it. You've got Sean Connery, Kevin Costner and Robert DeNiro being directed by Brian De Palma--it didn't miss. When this movie came out (1987) I was working at a movie theatre and I remember very well opening day for this movie (of course it was completely sold out)...ah, it's just bringing back the memories -- such fun times.


**********stars!

Oooops, the movie is sucking me in. More later, Booboo

No comments:

Post a Comment