Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Doctor, Doctor, Tell Me The News?

Today was the day for my annual visit to Dr. NewMexico (my cardiologist). [Heh, that still looks weird: I'm 43 years old and I have a cardiologist--go figure.] He's a good doctor. [Butch Cassidy (my friend the nurse) told me to go to him, and I have not regretted this (or any of her recommendations). HINT: if you have a friend who is a nurse, and you have a problem, ask them to recommend you to a doctor. Nurses know these things.]

Dr. NewMexico told me that my blood pressure, EKG and blood work came back fine (although some were a little high, but not "worry about diabetes" high). And I love how he told me--(without telling me directly)--that I was fat and I need to loose weight! ["So everything came back fine, here's a print-out of a guy I recommend you follow regarding diet. You can find his books on Amazon. See you next year?"] Actually, I respect this. I'd rather have the type of doctor that tells you what you don't want to hear. (Now, me following-up what he tells me to do, that's a different story.)

Actually, I think it is time. Writing yesterday's blog reminded me of how fit I used to be. [I have never never ever been thin. But there have been times in my life where I have been at a decent enough weight. And Elder Sister's wedding was one of those times.]

I've been watching a couple of people on the internet (one who blogs [Hi, Thumper]; and one on Facebook [Hi, Titanica]), and I've been reading their struggles with losing weight.

So, I think it's time to join them. Wish me luck.

More later, Booboo.

2 comments:

  1. Oddest doc suggesting I lose weight...dude was about 5'3" and weighed somewhere around 325. It took a lot of restraint to not pop out with "Physician, heal thyself..."

    Losing the weight bites, but I have to admit, I feel better. We're keeping our sanity with having one "free" meal a week...we let ourselves cave to the lure of the onion ring appetizer at Applebee's or giant burgers at Dennys. It makes the rest of the week of eating sensibly from being a giant suck fest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best doctor story was from my Dad-o: on a visit to his doctor, the guy told him he had to lose weight and stop drinking to take better care of himself [while the doctor was eating a sandwich and smoking a cigarette.](He did tell him to go screw himself).

    ReplyDelete