Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Castle" Keeper



So, today is another beautiful day outside....and I'm choosing to watch my backlog of "Castle" episodes.

"Castle" is a police procedural television show that is on ABC, currently on Monday nights at 10:00 pm. It stars Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic* as "Richard Castle" and "Detective Kate Beckett" in New York City. Is this brand new TV: no; can it be kind of repetitive with the other police-type TV shows out there: sure. So why am I hooked? They work very well together. Sometimes I catch a vibe off of "Kate Beckett" that reminds me of Cybil Sheppard, but it works. The writing is not overly engaging, but it is fun to watch.

I started watching the show because of Nathan Fillion--he's just so handsome. I kind of felt sorry for the show for being on ABC because they have a tendency of killing shows (not as bad as FOX (ptui)) but its the same old story: if the show don't bring in the money--its gone (but on the other hand, I get the feeling that they seem to "forget" about certain shows that they have and let them continue (see "According To Jim"--I never thought they'd cancel that show, it just seemed to have a life of its own)).

Nathan's had a pretty iffy career so far:

"Two Guys, A Girl & A Pizza Place" (horrible name for a show) it was on ABC for four seasons (here's some trivia: before being on ABC, the show was proposed to FOX who passed on it; & it co-starred Ryan Reynolds**).

"Firefly" (Fox sucks) -- this was a fantastic show, it actually was "a western in space" (which is what Gene Roddenbury said that Star Trek was supposed to be). Nathan was perfect in the role of "Captain Mal Reynolds". This was the first time that I paid attention to Josh Whedon (I never got into "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" [except for the original movie] or its spinoff "Angel" (and I love those types of stories) I just could not get into them]. But, I loved this show: the writing was great, the casting was perfect, the acting was really good. Fox just killed it (as it always does with any show that I like/love): first off, they showed the episodes out of order so it didn't make sense (to some people, I understood it), and second, they kept moving it around to different nights/times. (Fox has done this to other shows I loved: Millenium, Space: Above and Beyond...it's just a horrible network.) That's why I stand by what I said before "FOX SUCKS".

Other shows that Nathan's been in include: "Miss Match"; "Drive"; a stint on "Desparate Housewives" and "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"; and then he found (or they found him for) "Castle".

So far, the show's been on for 2 years--I hope it goes on longer. I haven't heard if its been picked-up yet, but one can hope.

One other little side job Nathan did was "Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog". Written and directed by Josh Whedon (for the internet--they did this while the writers strike was happening a couple years ago). Neil Patrick Harris stars as Dr. Horrible and Nathan stars as Captain Hammer. There's a lot of singing and they do it very well. It's a very well written story and definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh well, back to my marathon. More later: Booboo.

*Boy did Marvel get casting wrong for Iron Man 2. Specifically the part of the "Black Widow". Scarlett Johanson is playing her, but they should have gotten Stana--she'd have been perfect for the role.

**Ryan Reynolds is currently filming "Green Lantern" (as Hal Jordan [a DC comic]) and "Deadpool" [a Marvel comic]. Why isn't Nathan being asked to be "Captain America"? I think he'd be perfect for the role (he can act, he does the "heroic" thing well (Firefly)), but {sigh} I don't think they will. (Nasty rumor I heard about "Captain America": heard they were thinking about having John Krasinski (the dude from "The Office" - USA show). Ugh, horrible choice. Maybe "Bucky Barnes", but not Cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment