Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Little Bit Different (Or, Boy Am I Not Happy Today)


I thought I'd try something a little different today. Here's me attempting writing as therapy to get some of the sadness out of me that's been in me for a little bit:

I Heard Your Cry

August, 2007. A hot day. It wasn't as excruciatingly hot as the rest of that Summer, so I had the windows open. That's when I heard your cry.

I stepped out onto the porch to see what I could find. But I did not see you. While standing there, I heard your cry; so I went for a walk to find you. Up, down, all around--I could not find you.

Flash forward a month. A hot September day. My Sweetums was gone for the day. While on my own, futzing about, I saw you with them across the way. You were trying to get their attention. The girl, crying, tried to get her mother (uncaring) to help you. To no avail, they went away; but came back, only to ignore you. This seemed to be a theme over there; as they didn't notice that their dog got out -- which made me go over to tell them.

When I stepped on their porch, you came to me, and rubbed against my leg. I could tell before you let me pet you -- it was you who had cried, and that I finally had found you. Your boniness told your tale, you had been put out, for reasons you did not know why. So when I scratched your head, and rubbed your body, I knew I had to save you.

I knocked on the door that you so desperately wanted in on. The girl answered, and in her arms was the reason why you were out here. It seems that they did not want to play with the old girl that you had turned into. Because of that, they had gone out and gotten a kitten to replace you.

This made me mad. But I did not lash out at one of your betrayers. I only said, pointing to you, "She needs to be fed, and she will be". And that's when I scooped you up and took you to what turned into your forever home.

Although I did not know your story (and despite that little escapade) over the next two/three years you showed me who you really were: a loving cat; a mother cat (to those who didn't want one--but who, nonetheless, accepted the mothering that you gave them); a friend and confidant; a silly cat; a droolly cat; and a determined cat who never let "No" get between us.

On February 12th (such a short time) our time together ended. You never complained my L.C. dear (my Duchess cat) of any pain you were having. So we knew we had to help you go to the bridge where all critters go -- to enjoy your forever after. Off to the bridge to play, to scamper and skitter -- to be with the one's who have left us before. Sometime in the future -- I hope once again -- that we get to meet and be together. Rest in peace, you beautiful soul.


Thanks for listening. (When we get her ashes back I'll probably have more to add.)

I'll be bringing back the happy (I hope) later.

No comments:

Post a Comment