Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's Wednesday, So That Means New Comic Book Day!


[Photo is "Psylocke" as drawn by Greg Horn...he's a favorite.]

I am a geekette. And today being Wednesday that means new comic book day. The "high holy day" for all geeks.

I have a schedule set-up with "The Illegal" (my comic guy) that he will hold my books for me (as long as I get him my list in time….yes TI I have learned my lesson…thank you master). That means every other Thursday (pay day), I will go see TI to get my books. (I saw TI last week, so I won't be getting my books until next week).

This weeks pull list for me is:

D.C. comics: Black Lantern Green Arrow (a/k/a Green Arrow/Black Canary #30); Blackest Night #7, Blackest Night JLA #3; and JSA #36.

Marvel: Dark Tower: The Battle of Jericho Hill, Nation X, Thor, and X-Factor.

Now, since I have a schedule with TI, he will hold my comics for me until I come in to get them. On my last few visits, TI and I have been griping about the cost of comics ($2.99 a pop); the sorry state of the writing and art work of the books; and how the big companies and their "mega crossover" BS is not really working.

D.C.'s big event right now is "Blackest Night". Conlon (at Conlon's Cavalcade) can better describe this event. I can describe this as "D.C.'s version of a zombie movie" or "D.C. trying to catch on to the zombie phase to make more money"; both are correct in my viewpoint. [If you do happen to read Blackest Night, read the core books (Green Lanterns and the Blackest Night mini-series itself), because I've been spending my money on the other titles that "tie-in" with Blackest Night, and I feel I've been wasting my money.]

JSA (Justice Society of America) is about the "senior" heroes and their training of the new generation. (This is just my view point of the series, other people have described it better.)

Marvel's big event right now is "Siege"; and I have neither have a clue about or nor do I want to find out what that is. (D.C.'s sucking my money from me right now.)

The "Dark Tower" book is from Stephen King's "Dark Tower" story (it's a prequel, and it's been going on for a year and a half, maybe more). I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but I never got into the Dark Tower series. I buy this for my sister who loves the Dark Tower.

Nation X is also an "event" going on in Marvel (it deals with "Marvel's Merry Mutants" the X-Men. Other than that, I haven't read it yet (I'm waiting until the event is done (i.e.: that I've got all the issues), then I'll read it at one sitting so it will make sense, I hope)).

Thor -- I like the artwork and I like what they've done with Thor (bringing him back, there was an "event" a few years ago where he died…long story).

X-Factor -- It's Peter David. He's one of my favorite comic writers right now (and I also like his novels that he writes). These are part of the X-Men community, but not. I love how PD's, in the past, had one page in every book (or a whole book sometimes) where he acknowledges that there are "events" going on in the Marvel Universe, but that his "people" are not a part of it.

I mentioned my schedule with TI because TI told me (and I did not know) is that he has to front the money on the comic books. So that means he's buying all of these books for us (his clients), and he doesn't get paid until we pick-up the books. TI knows with me that he's going to be paid (because I come in every other week, like clockwork); but there are others who ask him to hold comics for them and they don't come in for months. So TI gets cheated out of money.

I don't think that's right. So today's blog is for you TI. {Booboo on a soap box}: "If you can't afford the habit, don’t do it!". {end.} It's as simple as that.

Comics aren't a "need" (well, for some people that aren't). They are a "want". If you don't have the money for something you want, you don't buy it.

It's not fair to the seller who's holding onto something for you until you get the money (or at the worst; change your mind and say forget it, don't hold it for me because I don't have the money AFTER it's been held for you for (let's say) three months). That's just plain wrong.

Well, I'm off to finish reading my last few weeks worth of books…that'll hold me through the snow storm we are supposed to have tonight going into tomorrow. (They promised me 12-14 inches, and they better well supply it.)

More later.
Booboo

No comments:

Post a Comment