Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday Morning News (Or--They Are Trying To Do What Now?)

I usually don't write about things happening in the news. Other bloggers out on the ether net will gladly do it (and will usally beat the things to death). Well that changed. This morning I heard two news items that I thought were rather outrageous. They were both about "the City that is the capital of Pennsylvania" (why am I calling it that (or "the City Of Brotherly Love")--read more about that in the second item below).

First--the City has cash income problems (hey, every town in every State across America is having this problem; but since I live in the suburb of this City [even though I live in New Jersey, we are still called a suburb of this City] my Fox news channel covers this City).

The news channel has a reporter who is a 'man in the street' type of reporter--(meaning they usually have him reporting live and out somewhere in this City during his broadcast). In this morning's report he said he found out that certain officials get free parking (and he did name some names [and I applaud him for having the balls to say them live]). These people either get a placard to hold a choice parking space on the street outside City Hall, or are reimbursed by the City for parking in the garages in and around the area. He also reported that it's not just officials who are getting away with this. People who have a relative, friend, etc. working in the City (be it City Hall or the police or fire station or wherever) get their parking tickets 'taken care of'' so they don't have to pay it. (The parking in this City is horrible (like almost all major city's in the US); and people usually pay around $300.00 a month for parking (I made that number up, because I forgot what number he reported)).

Now this City is crying because they don't have any money. And here is a perfect way for them to make some: Start Charging These People. I know I'm being fanciful in my thinking, but it's way past time for the perks to keep going.

Now the second item that this reporter talked about was Blogging. This City is going to attempt to start charging $300.00 to people who Blog in the City. Now, I don't know when this is going to start happening (or who they are going to charge); but I do believe not only will they be attempting to charge people who live in the City and Blog about the City; but that they probably will be going after people who live in this City and Blog about anything.

So with that thinking happening, the next people to be charged this fee are people who live outside of this City (and the State of PA) and write a Blog about the time they spent in this City (be it on vacation or on a business trip). I'm talking about some companies travel Blog (which probably will get charged), or 'Joe Schmoe' who came to this City and just happened to mention this City by name in their Blog.

Do they think they will actually be able to somehow charge all these people? I don't know how, but they will probably find a way to do it…and then the lawsuits will begin.

It will be interesting to see how these two issues pan out.

So that's my two cents on these subjects. Just be wary of Blogging about the City of Brotherly Love…they'll try and hit you up for some money.

More later…Booboo

2 comments:

  1. It's a violation of free speech...it'll never get past the talking about it stage because they won't be able to afford the ensuing legal battle. Whoever coughed up the idea in the first place must not have an even basic understanding of constitutional rights and law...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's what I thought. But apparently (after researching it a bit more on my part) they are calling for bloggers to buy a "business privilege license". I found a story on Time's newsfeed (http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/23/philadelpia-might-charge-you-$300-to-blog/.

    {ding/ding} let the fight begin.

    ReplyDelete